Victorian couple Kelly and Daniel “fell in love” with Canberra when they visited a few years ago and knew they had to get married here.
With just eight guests at their wedding, they opted for an intimate celebration planned by Carissa Webster of Canberra’s award-winning Event Management and Styling team. Kelly guides us throughout the day.
The guest list
“We wanted to keep our wedding intimate and share our favorite place with our loved ones. We had eight guests and no bridal shower which made the day very relaxed and easy.
“Our original plan was to have our ceremony at the gardens on Aspen Island (now Queen Elizabeth II Island), however, two days before the ceremony the weather forecast looked terribly wet. contacted to let us know that she had been able to secure us an indoor location and was able to take care of all the details.Although at first we were a bit disappointed that Mother Nature was determined to send us inside, Carissa didn’t let us down. She hosted the most beautiful and intimate ceremony at the Ambush Gallery, Australian National University. It was THE most beautiful gallery space and it was even better than our original plan. We couldn’t believe how amazing the ceremony space was. Carissa decorated the gallery space to perfection with candles and flowers, and we couldn’t have ask for better.
“We didn’t have a formal reception, instead we chose our favorite place in Canberra to eat: Grease Monkey in Braddon. We have been visiting them for years, they always remember us and the food is great, so why would we do anything else? We wanted to keep our intimate wedding relaxed and informal, so this was an easy decision for us.
“I sourced my dress locally from Twelve South Bridal in Yarragon, Victoria after a word of mouth recommendation.”
Choice of suppliers
“Carissa and her team made the whole vendor selection experience really easy and stress free. She took care of every detail including the ceremony, venue, style, photography, flowers and celebrant. We We were able to write our own special wishes and select our own music. Other than that, all we really needed to decide was what we wore, our transportation to and from the ceremony, and where we wanted to celebrate next.
Considering we live seven hours away, this made the whole process very easy for us. We were so grateful to have Carissa by our side and create an even better day for us than we could have ever imagined.
Organize an intimate wedding
“We highly recommend a package with Canberra Intimate Weddings. This means you have fewer decisions to make and it’s a much less stressful experience. It also means that the focus can be on what’s important (to each other) and not so much on pleasing everyone. Many couples get caught up in what everyone else (friends, family) thinks is important in a marriage, when it should always be about how the bride and groom want to celebrate their love and marriage in their own way.
Get dressed and we’ll do the rest!
Carissa Webster of the award-winning Canberra Events Management and Styling team and Pat Coelho of CBR Celebrant are collectively Canberra Intimate Weddings, your little Canberra wedding and elopement specialists. “We have joined forces to get you married in several beautiful locations in Canberra in scenic surroundings and in the best possible way,” says Carissa.
Carissa and Pat love weddings so much they decided to start Canberra Intimate Weddings to give you your perfect little Instagram-worthy wedding ceremony without breaking the bank.
They will provide you with everything you need to say “I do”, providing you with a stress-free engagement and wedding trip. Just buy the dress, buy the costume and they’ll do the rest!
Head over to Canberra Intimate Weddings to find out more about what they describe as “Canberra’s most inclusive small wedding packages”. Packages start from $1500 for an intimate ceremony and from $2500 for a ceremony with cocktail.
Top tips for planning an intimate wedding
Thinking of following suit and planning an intimate wedding? Carissa and her clients share some of their top tips.
- “Create a guest list of the people you ‘make life’ with, the closest and dearest people who are and will be there to support your marriage and your relationship,” says Carissa. “That goes for any wedding, not just if you choose an intimate one.”
- Location, location, location. “Choosing the perfect space for your celebrations can be tricky – we can help you find that instagram-worthy venue or if you have a venue in mind, we can help you turn it into your dream wedding,” says Carissa .
- Choose your suppliers without stress. “Make sure you choose vendors that respond quickly from the start,” advises Carissa. “There is nothing worse than fearing the worst before your special day. The speed of communication shows the best suppliers who will provide you with quality service from start to finish.
- “For the guest list, list the non-negotiables (close immediate family) and then only invite friends who know you well as a couple or who will have a lasting friendship,” advises Leanne Wadley, who chose Carissa to plan a 65 people wedding at Old Parliament House with a reception under the marquee of the Southern Cross Yacht Club. “You can personalize it, stay on budget, and you’ll have time to thank and talk to all your guests!”
- “Keep the details to yourself and explain to people that you are having a small wedding to let go of any anxiety or pressure so that you can focus on yourselves as a couple,” advise Mitch and Sharee Cadden, who with the Carissa’s aide, held an intimate ceremony at Lennox Gardens and reception in a private room at the Monster Kitchen and Bar.
What: Intimate weddings in Canberra
How much: Packages start from $1500
KELLY AND DANIEL’S WEDDING VENDORS
Wedding Planner: Carissa Webster of Event Management and Styling in Canberra
Ceremony: Ambush Gallery, Australian National University
Celebration: Pre-celebration drinks at Midnight Bar, Midnight Hotel, Braddon and then Grease Monkey Braddon for a relaxed celebration.
Photographer: Michael Southam Photography
DJ/Band: The music that was at Grease Monkey!
Makeup: Kate @ MYNX Beauty
Hairstyle: Kate @ MYNX Beauty
Dress: Grace from Twelve South Bridal, Yarragon, Victoria. (The shoes were the bride’s favorite Nike Jordans, accessorized with a Coach clutch).
Costumes: Peter Jackson, Chadstone
Accommodation: Adina Apartments, Dickson
Transportation: Will of True Blue Wedding Cars, ACT (1956 Chev)
If you’ve been dreaming of your big day since you were little and it’s way more than intimate, that’s fine too! Awarded Top Stylists two years in a row, Canberra Event Management and Styling can help you make any dream come true.
What: Event management and styling in Canberra
How much: Packages start from $3,000